[RP TownTalk] URGENT loose pit bull

Jeffrey Yorke yorkedial at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 22:12:16 UTC 2013

Sorry, Ms. Rogers, but I could not get past "Prince Georges County has an
embarrassing “pit bull ban” on the books" before my hair caught on fire.

In the 80s when I was a WashPost reporter in "PeeGee County," I had the
gruesome task of writing news articles about small children being bitten --
repeatedly -- by pit bulls. Have you ever had a conversation with a parent
whose small child has been malled by a dog? A number of  children died, not
just in this county but all around this region. Vice President Biden
yesterday spoke of elementary children being "riddled with bullets." Well,
that is pretty-much what those assault weapon dogs do.

The '80s pit bull stories were a lot like the other horrible story we all
covered: "Stray Bullet Kills SE Grandmother Holding Baby on Front Porch."
The first time it happens, it's a Page One, lede piece. The second time it
happens, the stories land on the front of Metro. After that, its three
grafs in "Around the Region." Pretty grim how these horrors become
"typical," "usual" and hell, acceptable.

But Prince George's County they were not acceptable. The people and the
politicians quickly got tired of these dogs. Even when a youngster wrongly
went into the dogs fenced yard and brought the trouble on to themselves,
there was mass outrage.  Ms. Rogers, the people determined then, as I
suspect they still do, we just don't need that horror. We can eliminate it
without much real pain to anyone. That was one time I was PROUD of this
beleaguered county. Prince George's County set a "born-by date"  for that
breed and at some point there after, the dogs would be gone. At lease gone
legally speaking.

No real evidence has been presented so far that proves that the dogs
mentioned in Town Talk were in fact, pit bulls but the level of banter does
indicate how much fear that breed generates. Pit Bulls are legal beasts in
other jurisdictions  but voters and their leaders there can and should
follow Prince George's County by setting a "born by date" for these animals
and they make their neighborhoods and communities safer.

Too bad it won't be that easy with assault weapons.

Jeffrey Yorke

--
Jeffrey Yorke
Yorke Property Management, Inc.