[RP TownTalk] puppy mills, pitbulls, etc.

Sue Collins wheadle at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 14 19:33:18 UTC 2013

RE whether puppy mill dogs are unstable, unhealthy, etc.  I respect everyones' right to their own opinion, but frankly I can't see how dogs (or any animals) that are bred and raised in crowded and unsanitary conditions, no socialization with humans, having parents that are literally bred until they die, etc., could NOT have problems.  I've known people over the years who've gotten dogs at pet stores (read "puppy mills"), and they were stuck with horrendous vet bills because their puppies had health problems.  Too, every time you see on TV where a puppy mill was raided, they show the dogs' messy living quarters, animals with health problems, and so forth.  And if you have a dog of ANY breed which has a higher potential for being hyper and/or vicous, those problems are magnified if the breeders aren't responsible.  Not saying you can't get a good dog from a poor breeder, but why take the chance?  And should we even talk about people who get
 a specific breed (here again, any breed) just because they saw one in a movie or they see photos of a celebrity with a cute little dog in a handbag?  After films and shows such as "Down and Out in Beverly Hills" (border collies), "Frazier," (Jack Russell terriers,) and "101 Dalmatians" came out, everybody HAD to have one of these dogs, without taking into consideration the needs and personalities of those particular breeds.   With luck, a dog can live for many years and I'm always amazed that so many people put so little thought into choosing an animal that might be a part of their lives for a long time.