[RP TownTalk] TownTalk Digest, Vol 78, Issue 16

Sarah Wayland sarah.wayland at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 18:18:32 UTC 2013

This is a case where I really believe that some enforcement of the law
(e.g., cars must stop when a pedestrian is in the crosswalk) would
help.

There's a crosswalk across Adelphi Road on the north side of E-W
Highway. One day on my morning commute, there was a stake out. A
pedestrian stood on one side of the crosswalk, and would step into the
crosswalk when the light changed (so it was legal for her to be in the
crosswalk). If a car turned right from E-W Highway onto Adelphi while
she was in the crosswalk, a policeman just down the block would nab
the scofflaw and ticket them. They were there for a few mornings.

I thought it was great.

-Sarah

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 12:41 PM, Sue Collins <wheadle at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Crossing Queensbury Road?  Please, my blood pressure!  Especially at rush
> hour and/or if the traffic has had to wait for a train, it is nearly
> impossible to cross from, say, the MARC parking lot on the east side of the
> tracks over to Town Center Market.  Marked crosswalks in the area might
> help, but if it's anything like the crosswalks on Route 1 and elsewhere,
> even if I'm actually IN the crosswalk, WITH the walk signal, just about
> every single time somebody will come roaring through the light and almost
> run me over.  And when traffic on Queensbury is backed up from Route 1 to
> Lafayette as it sometimes is during rush hour, should we even mention those
> drivers who, rather than wait on the east side of the tracks until they can
> clear the tracks completely, actually keep their cars ON the tracks while
> waiting for the traffic to move?

Sarah Wayland  | sarah.wayland at gmail.com |  www.GuidingExceptionalParents.com
Supporting students with learning differences and their families