[RP TownTalk] Cable TV Franchise Fees

James D. Holmes jdholmes at comcast.net
Sat Jan 26 19:35:24 UTC 2013

Did you know that Comcast Cable TV Customers pay a higher Franchise Fee
to the Town of Riverdale Park than Verizon Cable TV Customers.

I have made numerous complaints to the Mayor and Town Council over the
past several years that Comcast is overcharging residents for the Town
Cable TV Franchise Fee.  For over a year, Comcast was charging a 6.5%
Franchise Fee.  In March 2012, Comcast lowered the Franchise Fee to 6 %.

I recently received an e-mail message form Councilman Jonathan Ebbeler
(Ward 2) .  Councilman Ebbeler stated:

" I was curious myself so I took a look at my latest bill from Verizon
and they are charging exactly 5% based upon my math.  That is not to say
that Comcast's math is as accurate but without an example it is
impossible to speculate."

When I asked the Mayor and Council to conduct an investigation to
determine why Comcast was overcharging the residents of Riverdale Park
for the franchise fee, I received the below response from Town
Administrator Sara Imhulse:

"As I understand it, you are currently being charged a 6% franchise fee
by Comcast.  The Town's franchise fee for cable is 5%.  As I understand
it, the cable companies are allowed by federal law to recover the
franchise fees, so in your case the additional 1% charged to your
account is part of that process.  Here is the language that Comcast sent
me when I asked that question:"

"Comcast is permitted by Federal Law to recoup any franchise fees that
are paid to a municipality from its customers.  Franchise fees on
non-subscriber revenues such as advertising, home shopping revenues are
not derived from the customer and vary from year to year. Comcast
updates it franchise fee pass through percentage once a year based on
the prior 12 months actual subscriber and non-subscriber revenues.
Comcast goal is to recover all franchise fees from subscribers in
accordance with federal law.  At the end of the year we compare what was
paid to what was collected and end up with a dollar amount, either over
collected or under collected, in order to recoup or give back we convert
that dollar amount into a percentage so that we can implement that new
percentage in the billing system."

I am wondering why would the Town would close this complaint based on a
statement from Comcast without conducting an independent investigation
on it's own.  It appears the Town is letting the fox guard the hen house.

Did you know that residents of Georgia were also being overcharged by
Comcast on franchise fees.  The residents banded together and filed a
class action lawsuit against Comcast.  The lawsuit was settled and
Comcast paid out over $500,000.00 . (See below web link for the news
article)

_http://www.ajc.com/news/business/comcast-settles-in-suit-over-franchise-fees/nQZS6/
__
_

I am still not satisfied that the Town has addressed my complaint
properly.  That's why I have asked the Town to allow me to review the
quarterly financial statements that are received with the Comcast
franchise payment (these statements are public records).  I sent an
e-mail message to Town Administrator Sara Imhulse on December 19, 2012
requesting information.  I did not receive a response.  I followed up on
this request with a formal written Maryland Public Information Act
request on January 1, 2013 to Ms. Imhulse.  I still have not received a
response.

Solution to the Problem

A simple solution to correct the problem of paying a different franchise
fee amount depending on the company you get your cable TV service from
Verizon (5% rate) or Comcast (6% rate) is to have the Riverdale Park
Council can pass a Resolution to specify what the Cable TV Franchise Fee
is charged for all residents.  Example of new language for the Resolution:

Grantee shall pay to the Town a franchise fee equal to five percent (5%)
of supplying regular subscriber video service.

I am asking everyone to contact the Mayor and their Council person and
demand that a Resolution be passed to give all residents equal
protection from paying a higher franchise fee depending on what cable TV
service that you decided to select.

J. Holmes