[RP TownTalk] Innovative Stormwater Management Features at Cafritz

Jonathan W. Ebbeler jebbeler at efusionconsulting.com
Tue Jun 18 22:04:23 UTC 2013

All -

In an offline discussion with a resident I realized that the overall
Stormwater Management concept is probably not well known or understood by
the public.  In many of our imaginations from reading what has been posted
we are probably envisioning a 35 acre site devoid of trees and becoming a
concrete jungle.  The actual look and feel of the site will be much
different and includes the implementation of many 'green' features not
readily found in this area on any development parcel including:

-Green Roofs (if you are unfamiliar look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_roof )

-Porous Pavement in the parking areas

-Pond + bio retention areas including rain gardens

-Preservation of 10 of the 35 existing Specimen Trees on-site (more could
have been saved had there been a more unified voice from CP and UP against
SHA's requirements along US-1)

-New Trees planted 30-40' on center with a minimum of 2.5-3" caliper

Some other interesting tangential features of the site:

-Preservation of the existing archaeology of the former MacAlpine icehouse
on-site

-Public Art in the Greenway Entrance Feature

-LEED-NC Certification

If anyone is interested in reading the details about the site the Planning
Board Resolutions may be found here:

PPS -
http://www.mncppcapps.org/planning/DAMSWEB/Resolution_download.cfm?FilePath=
http://mncppcapps.org/planning/Resolutions/2013 Resolution PDFs/4-13002.pdf