[RP TownTalk] Introduction of Ordinance 2013-OR-03, to authorize the acquisition of 5731 Baltimore Avenue by eminent domain

James D. Holmes jdholmes at comcast.net
Sat Mar 2 19:30:01 UTC 2013

Here we go again

The Mayor and Council of Riverdale Park plan to introduce an Ordinance
on Monday night to condemn and seize the property know as Jey's Auto at
5731 Baltimore Ave.  Recently, the Town made an unsuccessful attempt to
purchase the property for $500,000.00   Now the Mayor and Council
believe they have the right to condemn and seize the property under the
eminent-domain laws of the Town and State.

Why is the Town so obsessed in purchasing this parcel of land.  Is it
because the property owners refused to sell to Pulte Homes several years
ago.  The Town will face an uphill battle in court if they attempt to
condemn and seize the property.

The City of Hyattsville is engaged in expensive court litigation against
two property owners within blocks of Jey's Auto.  The City of
Hyattsville at least has a plan for the property they are attempting to
condemn and seize.  They want to build a parking facility.  What plans
does the Town of Riverdale Park have in mind for Jey's Auto?

Michael Herman (resident and Past Mayor for Riverdale Park),  lawyer for
the two property owners said that the city's initial offer was far lower
than what other surrounding properties have gone for in recent years.
"If you look at land transfers that have occurred in the last few years,
some of the parcels in the EYA project have gone for approximately $4
million per acre," said Herman in an interview. "The city was offering
my client one third the value of their land."

_http://hyattsville.patch.com/articles/city-seeks-eminent-domain-judgement-to-build-parking-garage_

With declining property values and a projected loss of tax revenues for
the next few years.  How is the Town of Riverdale Park planning to pay
for this outrageous purchase.  Are we going to float more bonds?

It's time for the residents of Riverdale Park to wake up and tell the
Mayor and Council to stop wasting our money on fruitless projects.

James D. Holmes