[RP TownTalk] Community Youth Center

Jonathan W. Ebbeler jebbeler at efusionconsulting.com
Sun Mar 3 19:35:11 UTC 2013

Mr. Holmes -

I think the point of finances was discussed ad naseum in January 2013 under
the subject 'State of Maryland Property Tax Assessment.'  I invite you to
review those postings for a more through response to the points you are now
re-posting.

The other point you bring up concerning the Town Center holdings was brought
up and explored by the town.  There are some significant issues with this
approach which is why the ED committee did not recommend that approach:

.          It is not highest and best use - it removes a mulitple revenue
streams when tenanted by government vs. a commercial tenant.  These streams
are in large part responsible for why tax rates have been able to remain
constant despite a decline in residential values all while not decreasing
services

.          The town has ~1mil already towards this effort, renting this
space would almost assuredly disqualify 500k in state funding (with more
expected)

.          Build-outs arent free - depending on square footage contemplated
the town would have to spend 500k-1.5mil for a space it does not own

.          Assuming the town rented 7000 sq feet on rents of 20 triple net
(which would not be out of the ordinary), the town would lose all real
estate taxes, be responsible for all maintenance and upkeep, and insurance
on top of 140k/year rents.

.          A 3-5mil buildout expansion of the existing town hall would
result in annual payments under the 140k/year (gven current interest rates)
in rents, plus we do not lose out on real estate taxes, etc.

.          I have spent the last two years getting Douglas Development off
the sidelines and they are currently building out their assemblage.  For the
first time in almost two decades the town has a chance of having retail that
is walkable/bikeable for a vast majority of our residents.  They have
engaged one of the top leasing agents to get commercial tenants in, and are
working hand-in-hand with the town and county to expedite these commercial
opportunities.

The 'alternatives' proposed to where youth can go are all outside of our
municipal boundaries and a 1.5-3 mile distance from our town hall and has
programming that is all at a cost uncontrolled by Riverdale Park.
Additionally, most of the sites require crossing some of Maryland's busiest
intersections with 10s of thousands of cars whizzing by.  I am proud that
town leadership saw that there were a vast number of underserved youths in
town without local facilities and is using this opportunity to bridge that
gap.  Part of living in a community is realizing that not every cent of
every tax dollar will go to benefit yourself.  I am proud to live in a
community that understands this and supports efforts in providing
much-needed voice to those who are rarely heard.

You bring up a fantastic point concerning a referendum.  Although we held
multiple public hearings on the matter and it was discussed at length at
numerous work sessions and legislative meetings, your voice on there has
been the lone dissent on the subject.  That is not to say there aren't
numerous others out there but in public it is what we have heard loud and
clear.  According to our charter, a referendum on the matter could be filed
by anyone that collects 20% of eligible voter's signatures in town.  Given
that this will first come into play for the 2014 budget ordinance you or
anyone else would have plenty of time to collect signatures.

As you have also pointed out, elections also serve as a referendum; I stand
behind the policy initiatives and the votes I have made over the last two
years.  I realize you disagree with me on this and a vast array of other
issues, but as the saying goes 'if everyone is happy with you, you aren't
living up to your oath of office.'

Jonathan W. Ebbeler | Councilmember - Ward One

Chair, Economic Development Committee

Town of Riverdale Park
 <mailto:jebbeler at riverdaleparkmd.gov> jebbeler at riverdaleparkmd.gov