[RP TownTalk] Community Youth Center

Dwight Holmes dwightrholmes at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 20:21:37 UTC 2013

Jonathan - Many thanks for, once again, your thoughtful and detailed
response to the questions raised in previous posts. I do, however, want to
quibble with one point you make - not quibble really, but expand on, I
guess.  You say, "part of living in a community is realizing that not every
cent of every tax dollar will go to benefit yourself."  That would imply
that to support investing in something that doesn't directly benefit you
mandates selfless sacrifice.  In fact, though, we should understand that
investing in the amenities and services of our town, by making it a nicer,
more attractive place to live, selfishly benefits us all. In the medium- if
not short-term, it will attract more people to live here, raise property
values, keep youth off the streets and productively engaged, and help to
keep our tax rates low.  So the tax dollars I pay that go towards a
community youth center that I may never use still pays returns to me. Over
and over again. That's a good thing, and I applaud the efforts by everyone
involved in making this happen.

I also want - as long as I'm writing - to thank you for the patient and
dedicated nudging of Jamal.  Though I'm sure it may still take some time to
fill up his town center store fronts, just the fact that he's finally,
after how many years, acting serious about doing the necessary to make that
happen is a welcome relief.  It will be good in all kinds of ways to have
service-providing, tax-paying tenants in those buildings at last.

Dwight Holmes