[RP TownTalk] Jeys Auto 5731 Baltimore Avenue

Bruce Wernek bruce.wernek at verizon.net
Sun Mar 3 20:41:06 UTC 2013

Sarah

Have you forgotten that the MUTC rejected Jey's original proposal to improve
the gas station on his property.  Those improvements included a convenience
store.  What this means he was asking the MUTC to allow him to improve a gas
station that was there for many years.  According to Jey and Pete
Spiropolous, Jey missed the effective date for the MUTC zoning ordinances by
a few weeks.  In other words, if he submitted his plan a month earlier, it
would have been accepted.  I was present at that MUTC meeting and all I
heard from many of the Town's residents was "that's not what we want".  I
guess we got what "we" wanted.

I'm guessing the soft costs associated with Jey's original proposal for the
gas station improvements were in the neighborhood of $30K-40K.  Essentially
this was a total loss for him.  About that time, he was putting his kids
through college.  Are you proposing that Jey spent his remaining funds
remodeling the gas station to satisfy you, the residents, and the Town vice
putting his kids through college?

I attended the recent MUTC committed where Jey's Dunkin Donuts proposal was
discussed.  Jey brought his architect along with extensive detailed plans
illustrating the façade, parking, and the site plan.  His daughter Shanthy
provided a presentation with color renderings of the façade of the building
and the interior.  Just like his first encounter with the MUTC committee his
plan was summarily rejected because it was not a convenience store, rather a
fast food store.  Jey was not aware that a Dunkin Donuts was a fast food
store nor was I.  While Jey was obtaining permits for a convenience store,
he was solicited by Dunkin Donuts to make improvement to the property.  He
finished up with the convenience store permits under the assumption that
this was acceptable not realizing that there was an issue with a Dunkin
Donuts.

As far as Jey being "encouraged" to develop his property, during the
meeting, one of the MUTC committee members complained about his derelict
property and just like Jey's first experience with the MUTC "that's not what
we want".  I was upset and made this individual aware of that by my
response.  I specifically asked the committee what Jey needed to do to get
the approval.  The guidance Jey received was that he needed a special
exception and there wasn't enough detail regarding the signage.  There were
also complaints about the lack of color renderings for the "non-architects".
Stated simply, I was excited when I walked in and depressed when I walked
out.  I can't imagine how Jey and Shanthy felt.

The fact that the Town is filing for imminent domain while Jey's struggling
(again) to get through the process pretty much says it all.

Bruce Wernek
President - Riverdale Park Business Association