[RP TownTalk] backyard birds

Dwight Holmes dwightrholmes at gmail.com
Sun Mar 17 17:20:34 UTC 2013

Michelle & I have just this winter taken to feeding the birds and enjoying
the spectacular show that results in our back yard.  But I have a question
that perhaps some of you who may have been birdwatchers/feeders for a
longer period of time can answer.

I'm puzzled by the seeming random nature of feeding times and density.
 Some days it seems like there's somebody on one of the feeders just about
every minute of the day (btw sunrise and sunset, obviously).  But other
days - like today - you wouldn't know there were any birds in our area. I
literally haven't seen a single one today. Where do they go? Do they
practice groupthink? Is there some cosmic cyclical calendar that drives
this that we're unaware of?

(Of course, they must have heard me typing. Looking at now I see that
suddenly the downy woodpecker, house finches, doves, and cardinals are all
out there now!)

We were wondering if they have Sunday morning picnics over in the park
somewhere, maybe worshiping in the church or temple of their choice??