[RP TownTalk] Another mystery probably only I care about...

Dwight Holmes dwightrholmes at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 02:00:04 UTC 2013

Another mystery probably only I care about...but here it is.  It's
been bothering me since I first noticed it a few months ago.

The address on the Raytheon building on Rivertech Ct is clearly marked as 5700.

If you search for "5700 Rivertech Court" it will show you the Raytheon
bldg location (at least in Google Maps it did).

But why would that location be given the street address 5700?

I'm assuming they've deemed Rivertech Ct to be an east-west street.
But the number doesn't make sense for either a north-south or an
east-west street.

The Raytheon bldg is directly north of the intersection of Taylor Rd &
Tuckerman St.  And Taylor Rd would be 50th Ave by another name, so on
the east-west grid, a street number of 4900-something or
5000-something would make sense.  5700 Tuckerman, by comparison, is on
the east side of Kenilworth Avenue, and so 5700 Rivertech Ct makes
absolutely no sense for the location of the Raytheon bldg.

On the north-south grid, the number 7001 Lafayette is already assigned
to the US govt building which sits behind the now-razed ERCO bldg.  So
if Rivertech Ct were deemed to be north-south (which it appears to be,
actually) then a 7000-something number would make sense.  So
5000-something or 7000-something - but not 5700.

Inquiring minds need to know... I'm sure there's some interesting
history behind this.  More intriguing still, of course, would be no
number at all.  Riverdale Park's own miniature Area 51, as it were...