[RP TownTalk] Zip Codes and Property Values -- the Hyattsville Experience

Chris Currie crcurrie at gmail.com
Sat Oct 26 17:25:28 UTC 2013

Zip code 20738 doesn't have any carrier routes.  I'm not sure why it
exists, since it apparently services only PO boxes.  In Hyattsville, the PO
Boxes have either 20781 or 20782, same as the carrier routes.  But the Post
Office explicitly has criteria for how it draws zip code boundaries that
include roughly equalizing the number of addresses served in each.  There
are practical and logistical reasons for this -- it's not arbitrary.

I don't want to sound negative about the idea of getting a unique zip code.
 I championed it in Hyattsville and still favor it.  But after learning
more about the ins and outs of getting one, I decided my efforts were
better spent on more achievable objectives.  The Post Office gets many,
many such requests.  Very, very few are ever approved.  (Raljon, by the
way, was not a municipal boundary change -- and it happened due to a
different political calculus.)

Can yours be approved?  Not unless you are able to generate a lot of
grassroots fervor for it that will also motivate your municipal elected
officials, who in turn will help motivate your Congressional
representatives.  That's why I bothered to write my previous message.  It's
not going to be enough for a few people to write letters to your members of
Congress.  I just wanted to let you know a little about what you would need
to do to make it happen.

I wrote a brief on this at the request of the Mayor of Hyattsville, and I
might be able to find it somewhere in old computer files. If anyone wants
to seriously take up this cause, let me know and I'll dig around and see if
I can find it.

Chris