[RP TownTalk] (no subject)

Jonathan Ebbeler jebbeler at efusionconsulting.com
Tue Oct 29 12:34:57 UTC 2013

Yes Sue. Cafritz is a game changer for the town in a variety of ways and will continue to be part of the conversation for decades. First and foremost it's one of the largest single land development deals inside the beltway that provides opportunities as well as challenges for the town going forward. It repairs the damage that east west highway did when it bifurcated our town isolating portions of ward one and devastating Town Center.  It also brings a platinum vendor that is a well-established regional shopping draw.

I appreciate Meg's comments but would like to point out this is not an either/or nor is addressing the zip code issue a singular focus or even a prime priority. It is one facet of a much larger economic development focus addressing the fact that 2/3 of housing in that zip code is not in town. The conversation and policy direction is not about turning our backs on our neighbors nor ignoring poverty, income and educational discrepancies etc; I firmly and passionately reject this opinion.

Our greatest project expenditure over the next 5 years of taxpayer money will be specifically towards the buildout of a community and youth wing at town hall.  The town could renovate and reconfigure the building if this was just about staff needs. It's not though; there is a significant dearth of community programming towards lower income families in town and the surrounding area (incorporated or not).  The community and youth wing will go a long way towards providing opportunities to address community needs and was seen by our state elected delegation as important enough that they secured almost a million dollars towards this buildout.

More importantly though it takes all of us to get and stay involved. Last night we heard a presentation of the Riverdale Park Sustainability Committee and there was a single member of the public in attendance. Talking about things on here is important,  but commitment and action is what binds our neighborhoods together and creates the sense of community that defines us as a town.

Respectfully

Jonathan