[RP TownTalk] Cafritz bridge landing intersection (roundabout/T) - meeting Monday 11/4 at 7pm

Alan K. Thompson akthompson at riverdaleparkmd.gov
Wed Oct 30 18:01:55 UTC 2013

Friends and Neighbors,

Next Monday, November 4, there will be a public meeting at 7pm in Town Hall
(5008 Queensbury Road, 20737) to discuss possible configurations for the
intersection where the bridge (and street) connecting Rivertech Court and
Lafayette Avenue to the Cafritz project (crossing the railroad tracks).
 The town has been working with an engineer to see what the smallest circle
that will safely handle the traffic is, and has received several design
documents (linked at the end of this message).  We are still discussing the
possibility of reducing the size, but these are the documents we're working
from right now.

I've also linked to a Federal Highway Administration informational document
on roundabouts, and provided a link for the "T" intersection design.

These are all large documents (1+ megabytes)!

I hope to have a good turnout next week to discuss these designs.  Because
of timing constraints on the project, it is likely that the Council will
take a position later in the evening on 11/4 about which design to move
forward on.

Best regards,

Alan Thompson
Ward 2 Town Council Representative, Town of Riverdale Park

FHWA Roundabouts informational document:
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/research/safety/00067/index.cfm

T-intersection Design:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/la4ltfdu9c73ohe/007044CSXCrossingJ.10.300accessAndIntersection.pdf

Design Documents for Roundabout:
(Main design showing existing geographic features)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4yv9wzp85049agg/20131025_007044CSX%20Crossing%20Riverdale%20Park%20Round%20CSX-1.pdf
(The rest show paths of motion for an articulated bus through the
roundabout)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p1m9zl34qkngbha/20131025_007044CSX%20Crossing%20Riverdale%20Park%20Round%201.pdf
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kz46dtzfpqgfykn/20131025_007044CSX%20Crossing%20Riverdale%20Park%20Round%202.pdf
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zl4kok6l9qmq3sp/20131025_007044CSX%20Crossing%20Riverdale%20Park%20Round%203.pdf