[RP TownTalk] Chain link fences- my thoughts

Jonathan Ebbeler jebbeler at efusionconsulting.com
Sat Feb 1 15:53:09 UTC 2014

Hi Kathy

I know I certainly appreciate your thoughts and appreciate you sharing them. I would like though to revisit a couple of points so that my position and rationale

This legislation does not put an economic burden upon homeowners wishing to install a new fence.  There are many cheaper options or options at par with chain link, they are just often overlooked.  Split rail is significantly cheaper, aluminum is at par.  The legislation is not about legislating a lack of diversity but recognizing other realities of the ecosystem we reside in - i.e. Riverdale Park is an historic district.

I completely agree that 6' fences in general can deteriorate neighborhoods and they rarely get presented and/or approved without the presence of a dog for safety reasons.  As you pointed out, the same relationship with your neighbor had over a 3.5' chain link fence could have been had over a wood picket, vinyl picket, split rain, metal picket, rod iron, brick wall, or other fence.  They are not mutually exclusive and we are not asking anyone to take one down, just not put another one up.  Liberty is not absolute and unfortunately things like fences have a direct and immediate impact not only on the liberty of neighbors, but the overall neighborhood and town in general.

The material is prohibited by County Code for commercial properties in our Town Center and the Route 1 Corridor.  Front yard chain link fences are already prohibited.  There is a mis-match between what is and what is not allowed that opens the town up to litigation.

Respectfully,

Jonathan