[RP TownTalk] Ordinance 2014-OR-01

James D. Holmes jdholmes at comcast.net
Sat Feb 1 16:59:02 UTC 2014

Kathy

I applaud your response to the burden placed on the residents of
Riverdale Park of over regulating by our Town Officials.  Did you know
that a Council member in 2010 was planning to introduce an ordinance
concerning outdoor drying of laundry.  The Council Member wanted to
prohibit clothes-lines.

The proposed ordinance (2014-OR-01) was only made public within the last
several days.  Now it is on the agenda to be voted on by the Council at
the Monday night meeting.  When I suggested that the Riverdale Park
Council should table this ordinance and ask for comments from the
residents, I heard no response except a spin by one of our elected
officials.

I believe that any regulation should be driven by a need or public
safety issue.  When I asked the sponsor of this ordinance to specify the
need or public safety issue, I was given the following response.

*I still do not follow the continued statement in regards to public need
or safety concern.  I would direct you to read Section 301 -- General
Powers of our Charter that delineates the reasons 'why' Ordinances may
be passed that expand well beyond public need and/or safety:***

**

*§ 301:  General Powers***

**

*The council shall have the general power to pass all such ordinances
not contrary to the Constitution and laws of the State of Maryland or
this charter as it may deem necessary for the good government of the
town; for the protection and preservation of the town's property,
rights, and privileges; for the preservation of peace and good order;
for securing persons and property from violence, danger, or destruction;
and for the protection and promotion of the health, safety, comfort,
convenience, welfare, and happiness of the residents of and visitors in
the town.  All legislative powers that may be exercised by the town
under the laws and the Constitution of the State of Maryland are vested
in the council.*

J. Holmes