[RP TownTalk] Volunteering for Town Committees

James D. Holmes jdholmes at comcast.net
Mon Feb 3 18:35:59 UTC 2014

Jonathan

In your last e-mail message you complained that I don't come to Town
meetings and don't volunteer.  You have a short memory.  I sent you the
attached e-mail message over a year ago giving support to the Town by
volunteering to be the Chairman of  the Riverdale Park Cable TV
Franchise Committee.  I never heard anything from the Town.

Oh, maybe it's because there is not a Riverdale Park Cable TV Franchise
Committee.  Why is there not a Riverdale Park Cable TV Franchise
Committee.  The Town has collected over a half million dollars in
franchise fees from the residents over the past 20 years.

The Riverdale Park Code gives the Town authority to regulate rates
charged to subscribers.  Is there any review by the Town before Comcast
or Verizon increases their cable TV rates?

*Chapter 61-11. Acts beneficial to subscribers.**
**The town shall be empowered to include as part of any franchise such
terms and conditions as it deems beneficial to the subscribers in the
franchise area, including the regulation of rates charged to such
subscribers.*

By-the-way, what is the status of the renewal contract for Cable TV
Franchise agreement with Comcast.   Is the Town going to make this
agreement public?  Will there be an increase of franchise fees charged
to the residents?

J. Holmes