[RP TownTalk] Riverdale Park Farmers Market Highlights

Jim Coleman rpkfarmmkt at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 11:40:13 UTC 2014

*Riverdale Park's Farmers Market*

*TOMORROW: July 3rd, 2014 3PM - 7PM*

Get your peaches, sweet corn, sugar snap peas, blueberries, garlic scapes,
turnips, leafy greens galore, jams and jellies, apples, greens, flowers,
plants, pastured meats, free range hen eggs, artisan aged goat and raw milk
cheeses while we enjoy the heart of Summer. Don't miss it!  Many new and
enticing products will be coming to the market this year!  Come and enjoy
the festive early Summer atmosphere!  Evening hours are fun at the market!
  We look forward to seeing you Thursdays from 3pm to 7pm

 at the Riverdale Park Town Center, rain or shine.

*WEATHER: *High 89F. Chance of rain 60 - 70%. Warm & breezy.

 *Feature: Peaches*

*Here are 10 Healthy Facts about Peaches (WebMD)
<http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/peach-10-healthy-facts>*

*1. Peach origins*: The fuzzy peach is actually a member of the rose family
and originated in China.

*2*. *Peaches on the Silk Road*: The peach’s scientific name, *Prunus
persica*, is a direct reference to the fruit’s travels to Persia along the
Silk Road.

*3. Peach varieties*: You can buy two main varieties of peaches:
*clingstone* (the flesh sticks to the stone) and *freestone* (the stone is
easily separated from the flesh).

*4. Peach colors:* The peach can have yellow or white flesh, which is
sweeter and less acidic than its more traditional golden counterpart.

*5. Top peach growers*: China is the largest producer of peaches, followed
by Italy.

*6. Peach nutrition*: A large peach has fewer than 70 calories and contains
3 grams of fiber. It’s also a good source of vitamins A and C.

*7. Biggest peach cobbler: *"The world’s largest peach cobbler" is made
every year in Georgia, which is known as the Peach State. That cobbler
measures 11 feet by 5 feet.

*8. "The Peach State": *That would be the nickname for Georgia.

*9. Peach season: *Peaches are best from June to the end of August.

*10. Peach ripeness: *The flesh of a peach should have a slight give, but
use your whole hand vs. fingertips to check since the fruit bruises so
easily. Also, check for an even coloring of golden or creamy yellow.

*Growers:* Blades Orchard, Thanks God It's Fresh, Happy Hens
Barnyard, Boxers Rest Farm, Musachio Produce, ECO City Farms, Groff's
Content Farm, Red Chimney Flower Farm, and Jack Creek Plants.

*Tasty Treats: *Simple Pleasures Ice Cafe, Geppetto Catering BBQ, Zeke's
Coffee of DC, Ruben's Crepes, The Verandah Indian Food, Migue's Magnificent
Mini Donuts, Stone Hearth Bakery, and Bonaparte Breads.

*Speciality: Romano Winery, *Mystic Water Soaps, Shine Massage & Wellness,
and Amy Abrams Designs.

For tomorrow's listening pleasure: we welcome Jacob Panic! Jacob Panic is a
singer-songwriter/banjo dude from Baltimore, MD. His new album "Pop-Grass"
introduces a new genre of music to the world, combining power-pop and
bluegrass music (Pop-Grass). Pop-Grass was written, produced and performed
by Jacob Panic.

http://www.reverbnation.com/jacobpanic

Important Notices:

Food safety notice: Due to a preponderance of evidence and our county's
health department regulations, dogs are no longer welcome at
the farmers market. We regret the loss but hope that our dog owning
customers will forgive us for this change.

Important note about parking: only parallel parking is allowed on Maryland
Ave (the road that passes under East-West Highway) -- please do not park in
any other manner.