[RP TownTalk] safety in town and neighborhood wathc

Vernon Archer varcher at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 00:42:04 UTC 2014

 On Wednesday evening, July 2, Police Chief David Morris hosted a briefing
at Town Center Market to provide details on the state of the investigation
and police response to the several break-ins that have occurred in Ward 2
over the last several weeks (the area in question is approximately the area
north of East-West Highway, east of the railroad, and west of Riverdale
Community Park). Although we realize this impromptu meeting provided short
notice, it was well attended and I would like to thank those who could
participate for taking the time to meet with Chief Morris and his staff.

 During the meeting, a Ward 2 Neighborhood Community Watch program was
discussed and several residents already signed up to participate in
organizing this important piece of our community policing strategy. Thank
you to those who have already committed to assisting and a special thanks
to Mrs. Lori Holzberger for agreeing to work with the police department and
spearhead the community watch.

 For those who would like more information or to sign up to assist, please
contact Mrs. Holzberger at Ward2cw at yahoo.com.

 Finally these are some important steps that residents can take to
safeguard their homes.

   - The most important thing is for residents to call the RPPD right away
   at 301-927-4343 if they see criminal or suspicious activity. The RPPD is
   always available and will respond to the needs of our residents. The more
   involvement we get from the community, the more effective the RPPD can be
   in their jobs.
   - Remind everyone to secure their homes when they leave for any reason,
   including locking windows.
   - Do not leave valuables in plain view in your vehicles. This serves as
   an open invitation to theft.
   - If residents leave town for vacation, please call the RPPD for a
   premise check while away.
   - Home security surveys are a beneficial way for residents to have their
   residences evaluated by the RPPD. They can be done at the convenience of
   the resident.

--
Vernon Archer, Mayor
Town of Riverdale Park, Maryland