[RP TownTalk] Introducing HyattsvilleLife.com

Chris Currie crcurrie at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 19:10:50 UTC 2014

Forwarding an announcement about HyattsvilleLife.com, the new online hub
for the Hyattsville Life & Times, by Rebecca Bennett, the website's manager
... -- Chris Currie, Hyattsville

Hi, all.

Hyattsville's community newspaper has been working on a project that we
know will have a tremendous impact on not only our community, but our
friends and neighbors next to us in Prince George's County.  We put
together an incredible online hub of information.  I want to share a little
bit about it with you today.

http://HyattsvilleLife.com <http://hyattsvillelife.com/>

I've personally learned so much from participating our community email
lists.  We're news people and this is what we do to give back to the
community.  We want to help the community be even more informed, have a
bigger voice, be celebrated even more than it is.  There is so much
history, art, culture, and joy going on every day all around us.  We have
to showcase it.

The Hyattsville Life & Times is celebrating 10 years this month
<http://hyattsvillelife.com/10-years-120-issues-and-1-new-website/>.  There
are more than a hundred editions and more than a thousand articles that
will eventually all be indexed online.  This makes sharing what you read in
the print edition with others so simple.  And, it will give today's stories
an easily accessible and linkable context that they have not had before.

For example, new to the area or just not been able to keep up with what's
going on with the Hyattsville Library?  Well, everything that's been posted
about the library <http://hyattsvillelife.com/?s=hyattsville+library> is
right there.

Just love Miss Floribunda <http://hyattsvillelife.com/?s=floribunda> (like
I do)?  Now, you can look at the past columns as they are added.

If you live beyond Hyattsville's city limits, we created a special section
<http://hyattsvillelife.com/category/beyond-hyattsville/> just for you. One
of our hopes for the future is that we're able to better serve our
neighboring municipalities.  We are labeling articles with the appropriate
city while preparing for this future.  If you're reading this and it
strikes a cord that you'd like to run with in your neighborhood, let me
know.

And, if you don't currently receive the Hyattsville Life & Times in your
mailbox, there is a place on our website  <http://hyattsvillelife.com/shop/>to
subscribe to our award-winning publication.  You can also pick it up at
some area businesses, including Franklin's, Busboys and Poets and the
Hyattsville Library.

This is your community newspaper and your community hub.  There are lots of
ways to stay connected and get involved:

   - Sign up for our email list on our homepage
   <http://hyattsvillelife.com/> to have us send the news to you daily or
   weekly.
   - We want to showcase all of the incredible events going on in our
   community.  Send us your photos and videos
   <http://hyattsvillelife.com/send-us-your-photosvideos/> you'd like to
   share or celebrate.
   - If you know something you'd like to share with the community, share a
   news tip  <http://hyattsvillelife.com/submit-a-news-tip/>with us.
   - If there is a story you'd like to share with the community and write a
   couple of sentences or more about, please, send it in.

We also need community members to help share information.  If you'd like to
volunteer to contribute content and information on a regular basis, please
let me know.  And, we always need new photos to share.  Our platform has a
heavy visual component and every story needs a good picture.  If you want
to share pictures you've taken around the community, we need you, too.
Just send me an email.

Feel free to pass this email along to other people or email lists you think
would be interested.

Take care,

Rebecca Bennett
Web Manager, Hyattsville Life & Times