[RP TownTalk] (no subject)

Dwight Holmes dwightrholmes at gmail.com
Wed May 14 18:39:05 UTC 2014

Peggy - No, this is not a scam.  It is 'for real' in that it is coming
from TownTalk's server. Why it is happening and what it actually means
is not totally clear, however.

If any of our readers got an email with a subject line something like this:

Subject:confirm b3414db38a3662442188dd756af7b80ef586b2dc

and that goes on to say something like "Your membership in the mailing
list TownTalk has been disabled due to excessive bounces" and asks you
to:

To re-enable your membership, you can simply respond to this message
(leaving the Subject: line intact), or visit the confirmation page at

then our advice is to follow the instructions and re-enable your
TownTalk membership.

If any readers received such a message but can't read this message
because their acct has for real been suspended and they're not
receiving msgs from TownTalk...  I'm really sorry!  (If you happen to
know of anyone in such a position, please pass along this information
to them!)

+++
Another TownTalk member wrote me off list this morning, which is what
alerted me to this new round of such messages going out.  While
looking into this, I noticed that I had a lot of TownTalk messages
(actual list postings, as well as a whole slew of administrative
messages) in my gmail spam folder.  Including this post from you,
Peggy!

I am told by Alan Thompson, who is the web administrator for the list,
that anyone receiving a message like this that asks you to confirm
your subscription by either replying to the msg or clicking on the
link provided, should do so.

(It is curious to me that if your subscription has supposedly been
suspended, why the msg you posted was allowed to go through to the
list - and, further, why then my gmail opted to sort that into the
spam folder, even though it was a legit msg.)

Alan thinks that with email services like gmail, Yahoo, etc.,
scrambling to keep up with ever-more sophisticated malevolent attacks,
that it has become common for legitimate mail coming from lists to be
put into spam folders, and bounced. So if your mail service has been
bouncing your TownTalk mail back to the TownTalk server, that COULD
explain why you got a message saying 'your acct has been suspended.

I hope this helps, and I'm sure we all hope that these rounds of
suspicious-looking bounce messages will soon cease, once and for all!

Dwight Holmes
List Moderator