[RP TownTalk] Upcoming Community Events

Meg Kiernan megkiernan at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 17 14:58:56 UTC 2015

Hi there!
I wanted to let you all know about a few upcoming community events taking place at Community Forklift this month and beyond. It should be an exciting summer and I look forward to seeing my neighbors there! Read more below, or just check out the calendar page and RSVP for events on our new website, found here: http://communityforklift.org/news-events/calendar/

Thanks, Meg K.Somerset Rd.
Free Workshop: Welcoming Wildlife to Your Urban Garden!When: Saturday, April 18th at 2pm Where: Community Forklift - 4671 Tanglewood Drive, MD 20781Join local garden writer Alison Gillespie to talk about ways to nurture habitat in urban gardens. City lots and balconies may be small, but the actions taken in our tiny backyards can add up to a big difference for creatures like dragonflies, bees, butterflies, migratory birds and many other creatures. Plus, providing a space for wildlife can make city living more rewarding for humans. This workshop will include practical advice on the basics of providing for creatures large and small, and ways to avoid attracting unwanted visitors, such as rats. Alison will also be signing copies of her book, Hives in the City: Keeping Honey Bees Alive in an Urban World.
Alison Gillespie has been gardening for wildlife for more than twenty years, and her popular blog Where You Are Planted details how urban gardeners can take steps to improve the habitat of their own backyards for the sake of creatures like bees, butterflies and birds. Her book about urban beekeepers working to keep honey bees alive in the urban core of the Mid-Atlantic was published last year and is available at bookstores as well as online. Find out more about her writing at www.alisongillespie.com.
To learn more about Alison's new book, Hives In The City, or to purchase a copy of your own: http://www.hivesinthecity.com/

FREE Seat Reservations via Eventbrite:
http://www.eventbrite.com/e/welcoming-wildlife-to-your-urban-garden-tickets-16250892858?aff=efbevent
Forklift First FridaysWhen: May 1st, June 5th, July 3rd, August 7th, and September 4thTime: 6-8pmWhere: Community Forklift - 4671 Tanglewood Drive, MD 20781
Community Forklift had partnered with the Town Center Market, Riverdale Park Arts Council, and Hyattsville Community Arts Alliance to provide lively entertainment, food, beer, and wine, and artist vendors for a casual after-work gathering every first friday of the month between May and September.
This coming May 1st, listen to Juliette and the Thunderballs for the first half hour and then bring your own instrument for an open mic night until 8pm. Cap Mac n' Cheese food truck will be providing dinner and Ms. Sally Ann Rogers will be selling beaded jewelry at the event.
Free Workshop: Toddler Sensory Tour at Eco-City FarmsWhen: May 9, 11am-12pmWhere: Eco-City Farms
Toddlers and parents are invited to explore and engage with nature through a tour of ECO City's urban farm in Edmonston, MD. We will touch smell, and sometimes taste all phases of our vegetable production from worms to roots and greens. We may even be lucky and get a visit from our farm cat, Rosie, and our ducks.
Free Workshop: Fruit Tree Growing in the Mid-Atlantic (Washington DC region)When: May 24, 2p-3pWhere: Community Forklift
>From paw paws to peaches, discover the fruit trees that grow best in our region. This talk is especially suited to those gardeners lacking growing space or live in urban areas.
Kathy Jentz is Editor, Publisher and Founder of Washington Gardener Magazine. Kathy is a life-long gardener from a family of farmers and dedicated gardeners. Currently, she is President of the Silver Spring Garden Club and on the board of several other clubs and organizations. You can read Kathy's work in the Washington Examiner and Washington Woman in addition to regular guest spots on Channel 9, Channel 4 and WAMU radio.Washington Gardener magazine, the gardening publication published specifically for the local metro area — zones 6-7 — Washington DC and its suburbs. We sent out our premiere issue in March/April 2005 and we are now about to be celebrating our 10th anniversary.
Free Workshop: Coldframe & Germination Chamber Building WorkshopWhen: May 30, 1-2pmWhere: Community Forklift- 4671 Tanglewood Drive, MD 20781
Join Farmer Colin to learn how to build cold frames, germination chambers, and other season extension structures you can replicate at your own home. Colin is the farm manager at ECO City Farms in Bladensburg.