[RP TownTalk] 1988 article about our town

Audrey Bragg abragg7393 at aol.com
Fri Apr 24 12:13:49 UTC 2015

Yes, Sarah, those were the dark days of Riverdale.  I can remember going to a town meeting because they were planning to spray our trees with some chemical to make them stop growing because they were interfering with the wires and they had to spend money on trimming them.  I was so against this and in those days I had 2 young children and was concerned of the consequences.  I never spoke up about anything and it was hard for me to get out of my chair at the meeting. But I did it.  Mayor Wade told me I was being silly and they needed to do this and it was safe. My remark back to her was, "They told us Agent Orange was safe too".  Councilman Terry Sheehan, Ward 2 jumped out of his chair when I said this and voted No on the spot.  The measure did not pass.
After this we elected Ann Ferguson for Mayor in 1989.  I will always be grateful to her.  She was the one who built the foundation of what our town is today.  She never received a medal, but she sure does deserve one.  Christina Davis and Gerald Kiernan also had a stake in building our town and are responsible for the wonderful book, "The Riverdale Story: Mansion to Municipality" for our 75th Anniversary.  These are the good people who took it upon themselves to make our town a good place to live and worked so hard.  We enjoy the fruits of their labors.  We have been fortunate that it has carried on, but without that foundation, I don't know where we would be today.
So, to our Mayor and Council, if you ever get discouraged with all the work you do with no gratitude, always remember myself and others really appreciate you and realize what a fine job you do.

Audrey Bragg,