[RP TownTalk] Water Main Break - NB lane on Route 1 to be closed tomorrow

Jonathan Ebbeler jebbeler at efusionconsulting.com
Tue Jan 13 05:39:58 UTC 2015

Friends/Neighbors -

Tonight there was a water main break in the 6600 block of Baltimore Avenue (in the vicinity of Route 1/Van Buren).  I was able to see this first hand when I was driving south on Route 1 tonight.  There was substantial flooding that crossed east to west and threatened some of the homes in University Park that front the road.

County Police, UP Police, RP Police, UP Public Works, PG County Emergency Management, WSSC, and the Cafritz construction team have been on site trying to mitigate the situation.  This is one of many water main breaks that has occurred in our area including recent ones in College Park on Albion Street and Guilford, just north of our town's borders.  As was noted in previous posts, the WSSC upgrades that are causing short term damage to the roads are being performed all over town are meant to minimize events such as those we have seen recently.

It has been reported that there are likely to be delays on the road tomorrow as WSSC repairs the damage with the northbound lane of Route 1 likely to be closed until at least the afternoon.  The center lane has been reported to be used for northbound traffic. Please drive with care if you use Route 1.

As the Potomac River water temperature has declined the number of water main breaks and leaks has shot up - recent reporting can be seen here graphically:  https://eservices.wsscwater.com/wps/portal/wmbgraph

Please report any water issues you may see to WSSC immediately. WSSC will evaluate,  but is triaging response based on severity.  Their emergency number is 301-206-4002.  You can also sign up for WSSC email/Text-SMS alerts here:  https://member.everbridge.net/index/1332612387831877#/login

Stay Warm!

Jonathan