[RP TownTalk] TownTalk Digest, Vol 107, Issue 12

Alison Spain alisonspain at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 15:13:12 UTC 2015

Hello -

Thank you for discussion around the recent sexual assaults.

My initial query was addressing the speed with which women were or were not
notified about the string of recent assaults in our community, and I would
like to continue to bring the discussion back to how we can better inform
the public and how adjacent towns might share information in a more timely
manner and spread the word so that when there is an *ACTIVE* assailant in
the area, women are better informed and can act according to their comfort
levels.  The question regarding communication between the towns has been
largely ignored.

My other comments were directed at how a community does or does not
tolerate harassing behavior. As I have opened up the can of worms, I'd like
to backtrack to my point that sexaul assault and predatory behavior are
ultimately aggressive acts about power, or lack thereof - a person who
feels powerless choosing a perceived victim in order to feel more
powerful.

While catcalling construction workers are an obvious target, this behavior
cuts across all socio-economic communities and cultural backgrounds.  My*
personal *intention was not for a catcall to become a dog whistle, as I am
sure that the construction workers mentioned also have wives, sisters,
mothers, and daughters that have been on the receiving end of harassment.
Immigrant women are probably *less likely* to report harassment, whether
due to language barriers or fears about immigration status. Women in the
service and domestic industries such as office cleaners, housekeepers,
waitresses, and childcare are also frequent targets of harassment for any
number of reasons, many which relate to their perceived weakness and lack
of power.

Were I a man that felt empowered by harassing women, being cited in front
of many other men in public would likely shame me and further cause me to
lash out at women. Interestingly, El Pueblo means The People, or less
literally, The Community.  Clearly, there is a need for law enforcement in
situations of immediate threats and violence, but there is also a need for
community policing, from both actual police and the rest of the community.
I have seen a great deal of community outreach from the RPD at different
events and my individual experience is that they are a thoughtful
organization.  One solution to the example of the known catcallers above
might be to have a representative of the police simply introduce himself,
bring some donuts along, and mention that women are feeling threatened by
catcalls and to please tone it down.  Inquire about their families, their
wives and daughters - are they experiencing any issues?  Similarly, men of
the community, you are in a unique position to both model gentlmanly
behavior and teach other men and boys what behavior towards women YOU will
not tolerate.  See a woman getting harassed on the METRO, speak up.  Men
need to hear this from other men in a way that provokes reflection and not
further shame. Some interesting resources here:

http://www.stopstreetharassment.org/resources/male-allies/educating-boys-men/

As to the male poster that wanted to be on the receiving end of cat calls,
your comments about allotment of resources were worth discussion.  Your
what's the big deal ladies get over it attitude and I'd love to be
catcalled comments were offensive, but nothing new or suprising.

Sincerely,

Alison S.