[RP TownTalk] Storm Water Management Presentation

Vernon Archer varcher at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 19:14:32 UTC 2015

Friends and neighbors,

I want to let you know that at the next Council Work Session on Monday
March 30 at 8 PM there will be a presentation about Storm Water
Management (SWM) along Wells Run relating to the Cafritz project and
how best to manage the system.

The issue at stake is that one aspect of the SWM system Cafritz is
obliged to put in is a holding tank on the west side of the property;
however engineering studies show that piece of the system will have
negligible affect on either 10 or 100 year type floods. Therefore the
suggestion on the table is that a fee be paid instead by the
developer, based on clear county formula, to help fund what is hoped
to be a more effective project to hold water farther upstream commonly
referred to as the "9 Pond" proposal. The argument they are making is
that this will do much more to actually control flooding than the
"tank" that does next to nothing according to their study.

The 9 Pond proposal has been in the works for years and at least on
its surface seems to be the only real place where sufficient land is
available that a real reduction of downstream flooding can be
realized. Not just its large size makes it appealing, but the fact
that the land is largely undevelopable also makes it a likely site.

The presentation at the work session will come from the Prince
George's County Department of Public Works which is the agency that is
charged with SWM. Ultimately this agency is the arbiter of the issue,
but it is important that all impacted stakeholders engage in reviewing
and understanding the issues and evaluations.

This is a critical time for SWM in Riverdale Park because the Wells
Run system is being surveyed, analyzed and (re)designed for repair and
reconstruction as well as new regulations are being implemented for
development/redevelopment projects as part of statewide SWM efforts.
Now is the time for us to get the best reconstruction plans and
precedents for development that we can get.

I cannot say more at this point because we (Riverdale Park and other
stakeholders) are still evaluating the materials that the County has
provided. As stated above PGCDPW has the final say, but they represent
all of us on matters such as this and we intend to make sure that they
do not forget this.  Please know that you are invited out for what is
likely to be a lively presentation and followup questions.

Best wishes,

Vern

--
Vernon Archer, Mayor