[RP TownTalk] Quiet zone

Jonathan Ebbeler jebbeler at efusionconsulting.com
Wed Oct 28 12:23:30 UTC 2015

Sue

My comments regarding the trains were not in response to not liking the trains etc. I pursued the quiet zone because the current situation has nothing to do with the history of the town.

On June 24, 2005 the Federal Railroad Administration changed their policy on what is called the "Final Rule on the Use of Locomotive Horns at Highway/Rail Grade Crossings."  It now specifically requires by law that trains blow their horns a minimum of four times. Prior to this report usage of horns was at the discretion of the engineer.

A quiet zone specifically "turns back time" to what would have historically existed in town - i.e. horns will sound at the discretion of the engineer.