[RP TownTalk] Pepco Tree Program

Al Spain alisonspain at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 13:16:52 UTC 2016

I did this program last year.  Hopefully, I will not burst anyone's
fantasy. The basic facts.

I envisioned a tree similar to what the town plants on the curbs, already
established with some basic foliage, small, but you know, a tree.  I
diligently planned for my trees by utilizing Pepco's website tree locator.
I had utilities check for gas lines. I researched tree planting, talked to
Behnke's for an hour, purchased a few different bags, mixed to the right
percentages, and amended my soil. I tracked my shipment with anticipation
of two trees waiting on my porch steps.

A long, narrow box arrived. It was approximately 4" x 4" x 5'.  Inside were
two sticks with tap roots. One was broken. I called the problem hotline to
report the other broken stick. The contact person seemed confused but said
someone would be in touch.  No one was ever in touch.

I faithfully planted my other stick in the amended soil.  Charlie Brown's
Christmas tree was an Amazonian jungle plant in comparison.

I watered all summer.

I was gently mocked.

My stick died and was composted.

Pepco got some good PR.