[RP TownTalk] Teachers, Tastings, and More at Riversdale!

Ferris, Samantha Samantha.Ferris at pgparks.com
Thu Feb 18 19:54:25 UTC 2016

Hello!

I hope you are all doing well and enjoying the bit of a weather warm-up we're experiencing this week! The slow, post-holiday quiet at Riversdale is about to give way to a busy spring and  wonderful programs and we hope you'll join us!  If you're interested in more information or signing up for a program, please feel free to email me or call the office at the number below. And remember, the resident rate applies to residents of Prince George's & Montgomery Counties. You can always view our full calendar here - http://bit.ly/1Tp1iR7. Ok, now on to the fun stuff!

Teacher Open House & Workshop, Saturday, February 27, 10 am Know any teachers or homeschool parents in the DMV? Be sure to pass along information about this event! College Park Aviation Museum & Montpelier Mansion are partnering with us to show teachers and homeschoolers what we have to offer! Learn about many of our brand new workshops, tour the house, and participate in lively panel discussions about STEM, outreach, and more! And don't worry, the teachers will have some time to play with hands-on activities, just like students. This is a FREE event, but teachers need to register by Tuesday, February 23.

The Plummers' Kitchen, Sunday, February 28, noon-3:30 pm The Riversdale Kitchen Guild is always cooking up something yummy and this Sunday, the recipes celebrate Black History Month and highlight foods popular among Riversdale's Plummer family and other African Americans in Maryland. Step into the toasty open hearth kitchen and watch the demonstration throughout the afternoon. Be sure to grab a copy of the recipes so you can try it at home, 21st century-style! Fee includes guided tour of the house & reservations aren't required. $5 adult, $4 senior, $2 students, FREE 4 & under.

Tasting the Past: A Taste of Maryland, Saturday, March 5, 2:30 pm Maryland is famous for some pretty yummy foods and your tastebuds will love you when you treat them to this event! Foodways historian Joyce White explores some of our state's most iconic foods & brands - we're talking Old Bay, McCormick, Otterbein Cookies, and much more, as well as some lesser-known goodies like black licorice and white potato pie. Registration for this lecture and tasting are required by next Friday, February 26. $18 residents, $22 non-resident

Early March also includes the return of our Riversdale Chamber Music Society concerts on March 5th, Smithsonian Museum Day for Women's History Month on March 12th,  Kitchen Guild Open House on March 13th, and an  Afternoon of Austen Film & Fashion on March 19.

We are super excited about so many new programs and the return of some old favorites; we hope you are, too!

See you soon!
Samantha Ferris
Education Coordinator
Riversdale House Museum
4811 Riverdale Road, Riverdale Park, MD 20737
Department of Parks and Recreation
The Maryland-National Capital Park & Planning Commission
Samantha.Ferris at pgparks.com<mailto:Samantha.Ferris at pgparks.com> | history.pgparks.com<http://history.pgparks.com/sites_and_museums/Riversdale_House_Museum.htm>
301.864.0420 | fax 301.927.3498
Like us on Facebook!<https://www.facebook.com/RiversdaleMuseum> | Sign up for Riversdale's e-list!<http://visitor.r20.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?llr=rx4axyiab&p=oi&m=1108931018481> | View Our Calendar of Events<http://bit.ly/1Tp1iR7>