[RP TownTalk] Scary CSX train incident - be careful

Sarah Wayland sarah.wayland at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 15:17:22 UTC 2016

This was posted on the Hyattsville HOPE list this morning. This is very
scary. Please be careful at the railroad crossing on Queensbury.

Also, there is phone number posted on the gates that you can call if
there's a problem. If you see something like this, please call that number
right away. (I wish I knew the number, but I'm not over there right
now....)

-Sarah

2a. Scary CSX train incident - be careful
    Posted by: "Susan Guardado / VSG PT" sguar at yahoo.com sguar
    Date: Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:42 am ((PST))

Yesterday coming home at 3:24 p.m. with a car full of kids, I was driving
down Queensbury and the lights turned on at the Riverdale train crossing.
My little one loves trains so I stopped at the stop sign and waited for the
gates to lower so we could see the train pass.  After the gates lowered, we
sat there for 4 to 5 minutes without a sign of a train anywhere.  We made
jokes that is was an invisible train.  Then the lights turns off and the
gates went up.  I started to drive slowly across the tracks.  All of the
sudden with warning the gate in front of us came down and then the lights
came on and the gate behind the car started to lower.  I put the car in
reverse and barely got out.  The gate hit the top of the car and with
seconds and FAST train flew in front of our car!!  H.S.
I tried to remain calm for the kids but that scared the hell out of me.
What happened?  I called the Riverdale police to report this incident, but
I had a restless night thinking of this incident.  I am going to follow up
with CSX today to make sure they check that crossing.
Please be careful at that crossing.  In all my years here, I have never
experienced anything like that.  If anyone thinks of other place to report
this, please let me know. I did notice in our Hyattsville Times that in
early February of this year, they were going to be inspecting that specific
crossing for the Quiet Zone they are putting in place - but clearly it did
not pass inspection!
Susan

Sarah Wayland, Ph.D. | www.GuidingExceptionalParents.com
<http://www.guidingexceptionalparents.com/>
Supporting students with learning differences & their families