[RP TownTalk] Town Government Reform and due process; where we are at

Vernon Archer varcher at gmail.com
Wed May 4 21:56:51 UTC 2016

Friends and neighbors,

I write today to inform you about where we are in the process of reforming
town government to a Council/Manager model and address some questions
related to the process of implementing those changes.

First, the legislation, as amended, was passed unanimously by the town
council at Monday's legislative meeting (5-0). Go to the town's website to
view the legislation:
http://www.riverdaleparkmd.info/Legislation/Charter%20Amendment%20Resolution%202016-CR-01%20Form%20of%20Government%20Clean%20Copy.pdf

Next, the process of making any and all changes to the Town's Charter (in
effect our constitution) is dictated both by state law and our charter.
Thus, due process is defined in advance of a governing body taking action,
not by creating some new or ad hoc process after the fact. The town council
has not only scrupulously followed the process but has in fact gone well
beyond what was required to insure: 1) the public was informed about the
significant changes being considered; 2) residents had opportunity to be
heard; and 3) questions and comments were answered and addressed.

We are now in the waiting period prior to the legislation taking effect 50
days after passage (June 21). The waiting process, along with options for
repeal by residents is described in detail by state law and is included in
the legislation itself as posted on the website.

You may rest assured that the town council and government will continue to
follow the process as set forth by law.

Best wishes,

Vernon
__