[RP TownTalk] Resignation from the Riverdale Park Sustainability Committee

Ashley Ebbeler e.a.ebbeler at gmail.com
Thu May 19 15:27:55 UTC 2016

Residents, Council and Mayor

It is with great disappointment that I am resigning my position as the
Director of the Riverdale Park Sustainability Committee (aka Green Team). I
have spent countless hours and my money over the last three years to better
Riverdale Park environmentally. My most notable accomplishment during my
tenure was achieving certification for Sustainable Maryland Program. This
certification allowed the Town to pursue MEA Grants totaling up to $40,000.
Additionally, I worked to create a vision to revitalize Riverdale Park Town
Center, a solid design concept for a Beale Circle Park, I even created a
design brochure which the county is using to inspire development within
Prince Georges County.

Like my husband, I feel I can no longer serve the town to the best of my
abilities due to its current “leadership.” Despite making many legislative
victories, to only have them not implemented has been beyond frustrating. I
am not sure who will be leading Riverdale Park Sustainability Committee.

Ultimately, I am saddened by the current direction of the Town. Riverdale
Park has enormous opportunity to monopolize on yet, it can’t get out of its
own way. Economic Development opportunities gift wrapped and on a silver
platter fall by the wayside. It is my opinion that the current
administration is self-interested and doesn’t have the Town’s best
interests at the heart of its actions.

You may feel that this is all soured grapes, but this hit home when I
learned of the volunteer/teacher appreciation program. A program that
exists to recognize individuals for their selfless acts, has only
recognized teachers whose paid profession is to guide the future leaders of
today. Let me be clear, I am aware that teachers have a tough job, having
witnessed my mother teach second to fourth graders for over 20 years.
However, volunteers donate they time, money and energy to initiative. I
appreciate my colleagues on the committee for their time and energy to make
Riverdale Park a greener place to live.

I hope that a new administration next year puts the Town back on track.

Sincerely,

Ashley Ebbeler