[RP TownTalk] Let's Talk Free Community College

Alonzo Washington alonzo at alonzowashington.com
Fri Sep 23 17:51:53 UTC 2016

Dear Riverdale Park Residents,

*I am writing to invite you to join me for the first public meeting of the
Prince George's Promise Scholarship Task Force on Monday, October 10th from
7:00pm-9:00pm at Duval High School to discuss implementing free community
college in Prince George's County!*

We are facing a higher education crisis in our County. In several of the
lowest income communities across Prince George's County less than 15% of
the population has a bachelor's degree and less than 6% has an associate's
degree. This opportunity gap has a profound effect on families who are not
eligible for quality jobs because they did not have the means to access a
college education. For those students who do graduate from our community
college, they are currently carrying a total college debt of over $12
million. This overwhelming debt often prevents them from purchasing a home,
starting a family, and contributing to our economy.

As these issues continue to go unaddressed, we risk leaving a whole
generation of students and families in our County behind. A college
education can be someone's ticket out of poverty and the gateway to endless
new opportunities. I recognize that college is not for everyone, but
education is, and for those who want to go to college, we need to ensure
that it is affordable. Right now, we have the chance to come together as a
community and show that we are ready to solve these issues of college
affordability and provide the opportunity of a college education to all
students in Prince George's County.
Over the past several weeks, our task force has met to discuss these and
many other issues, but this is our first opportunity to hear directly from
you. Please share this event with your communities, schools, and churches,
and let them know that this is their chance to let their voice be heard and
contribute to improving the lives of countless families across our County.

See you on October 10th!

Sincerely,

-Alonzo

Alonzo T. Washington