[RP TownTalk] Prince George's County Prepares for Annual Point-In-Time (PIT) Homeless Count

Jessica Barnes jbarnes at riverdaleparkmd.gov
Thu Jan 5 14:43:35 UTC 2017

For Immediate Release:
January 4, 2017

For More Information:
Dee Dee Bass Wilbon
Internal & External Affairs Liaison
Prince George's County Department of Social Services
(301) 909-7073<tel:(301)%20909-7073>
dee-dee.bass at maryland.gov<mailto:dee-dee.bass at maryland.gov>

Prince George's County Prepares for its annual Point-In-Time (PIT) Homeless Count

LANDOVER, Maryland - On Wednesday, January 25, 2017, over 200 volunteers and staff from the Prince George's County Department of Social Services will participate in the annual Point-In-Time (PIT) count of homeless individuals from 6:00 a.m. until midnight.  This event is part of a nationwide effort to identify those experiencing homelessness in our communities.

Just as in years past, the volunteers and staff will be armed with advanced technology, and experienced team leaders, as they canvas homeless encampments, parks, libraries, public transit areas, soup kitchens, shopping centers, eateries and other places known to be frequented by unsheltered homeless people during the cold winter months.

Gloria Brown Burnett, Director Prince George's County Department of Social Services who serves as the lead administering agency for the Continuum of Care (CoC), stated," that the count is extremely important to providing a glimpse of the need of our homeless population, helps to meet federal requirements needed for existing funding and documents the need for additional funding."

The Department needs assistance from the community and there are several ways you can help.  If you know of areas or businesses within the community where homeless people gather or go for assistance please let us know.  You can also volunteer as part of our street team on the day of the count.  Additionally, we are also accepting donations of ready-to-eat food items, water, coats, socks, hats, gloves, blankets, toothpaste and tooth brushes, hand sanitizer and sleeping bags as well as food gift cards, smart trip cards that can be distributed during the count.

For additional information about the annual Point-In-Time count, or if you would like to donate and/or volunteer please contact Dennis Lewis at (301) 909-6041<tel:(301)%20909-6041> or dennis.lewis at maryland.gov<mailto:dennis.lewis at maryland.gov>

Jessica
Jessica E. Barnes
Town Clerk
Riverdale Park