[RP TownTalk] Announcing book club meetings for exceptional parents!

Sarah Wayland sarah.wayland at gmail.com
Tue Jul 4 03:50:09 UTC 2017

Announcing new Book Club series!

https://www.guidingexceptionalparents.com

fellow parents, I am excited to announce a new offering for my families -
quarterly book club discussion groups! Jeanne Schindler has graciously
offered to host our meetings at her home in Hyattsville, Maryland. Read
below for the schedule and for information on the books we will be
discussing.

I've also finalized my fall offering for my parenting class which will be
held in Annapolis. If you haven't been able to attend previous offerings of
the Parent Child Journey (https://www.parentchildjourney.com) class
(formerly known as Raising Your Challenging Child), next fall is your
opportunity.

I would love to see you and, as always, I'd be grateful if you could help
spread the word.

Sarah Wayland, Ph.D.
Relationship Development Intervention (RDI™) Consultant
Special Needs Care Navigator

** BOOK CLUB! **

Have you taken one of my classes, and miss sharing experiences with other
parents? Do you want to meet other parents who understand your world? In
response to your requests for more community, I'm offering quarterly book
club meetings as a chance to connect (and reconnect!) with other parents
while exploring a range of topics related to raising children.

Come to the book club ready to discuss what you learned while reading the
book selected for that session - what you liked, what was useful, and what
didn't make sense. The book club meetings will be highly interactive with
lots of discussion.

Jeanne Schindler has graciously offered to host these book clubs at her
home in Hyattsville Maryland. It will help us plan if you let us know you
are coming. Once you complete your registration, I will send the address
and phone number.

Meetings begin at 7:30 p.m.

Cost: Pay what you can: $10 - $20 per meeting.

Monday, July 24th, 2017
Self-Reg: How to Help Your Child (and You) Break the Stress Cycle and
Successfully Engage with Life (https://self-reg.ca/self-reg/shankerself-reg/
)
by Stuart Shanker, Ph.D.

REGISTER: https://tinyurl.com/July2017BookClub

Monday, October 16th, 2017
Far From the Tree: Parents, Children And The Search For Identity (
http://www.farfromthetree.com/)
by Andrew Solomon

REGISTER: https://tinyurl.com/Oct2017BookClub

Monday, January 29th, 2018
Raising Human Beings: Creating a Collaborative Partnership With Your Child (
http://drrossgreene.com/raising-human-beings.htm)
by Ross Greene, Ph.D.

REGISTER: https://tinyurl.com/Jan2018BookClub

Monday, April 23rd, 2018
Selection - To Be Determined - If you have something you'd like to read,
let me know (mailto:info at guidingexceptionalparents.com?
subject=idea%20for%20book%20for%20April%2023rd%20book%20club) .

REGISTER: https://tinyurl.com/April2018BookClub

Help spread the word! Invite your friends!
Book Club Flyer

(https://guidingexceptionalparents.com/Flyers/2017-2018%20-%
20Hyattsville%20-%20Bookclub.pdf)

** FALL PARENTING CLASS **

PARENT CHILD JOURNEY
Dr. Dan Shapiro's parenting class for caregivers with challenging kids
Led by Sarah C. Wayland, Ph.D.

The Parent Child Journey (http://parentchildjourney.com)  program (formerly
called Raising Your Challenging Child) was created by Dr. Dan Shapiro to
help caregivers identify the source of their child’s challenging behavior
and learn what they can do about it. During each session, we will discuss
proactive strategies for raising children with difficult temperaments and
developmental differences. The emphasis is on customizing the strategy to
fit each child’s unique profile. Different children. Different approaches.

Learn about Dr. Shapiro's classes at http://www.parentchildjourney.com/.

FALL 2017
Wednesday evenings
7:30 – 9:00 pm
September 13th - November 15th

LOCATION
Bayside Pediatrics (http://www.mybaysidepeds.com/)
2024 West Street, Suite 400
Annapolis, MD 21401

Cost: Pay what you can: $150 - $300

REGISTER:  http://tinyurl.com/WaylandFall2017

Spread the word!
Parenting Class Flyer
(https://guidingexceptionalparents.com/Flyers/Fall%202017%20-%
20Annapolis%20-%20Bayside%20Pediatrics%20-%20ParentingFoundations.pdf)

**  It's summer! Time for a vacation metaphor on the blog **
** Kayaking Through Life: Supporting Kids With Challenges **

A couple of summers ago, our family went on vacation, and I took my sons
kayaking at Assateague State Park. It didn't go as planned, in part because
my kids respond in different ways to being challenged. This story is about
how those responses helped me understand my parenting.

https://guidingexceptionalparents.wordpress.com/2015/07/02/
kayaking-through-life-supporting-kids-with-challenges/

About Sarah Wayland, Ph.D.

Do you want to help your child function more effectively? Are you unsure
how to best support and guide your child? Are you struggling to coordinate
your child’s care?

Dr. Wayland believes parents are their children's first and best teachers.
Her practice is devoted to providing families with the resources and
knowledge they need to confidently and effectively guide their children.
She specializes in working with children who struggle to manage at school
and at home because of temperament, ADHD, autism spectrum disorders,
learning disabilities, mood regulation disorders, and other challenges. As
a Special Needs Care Navigator (http://guidingexceptionalparents.
​com/Services.html
) , she will help you to navigate clinical care and educational systems,
and she can help parents do the detective work needed to better understand
their children. Her mission is to educate parents so they will have the
skills they need to effectively support their kids.

As a Relationship Development Intervention (RDI™) (http://
guidingexceptionalparents.com/RDI.html)  consultant, Dr. Wayland works with
parents, guiding them through the process of teaching their children the
essential skills that make relationships work. Parents learn how to
identify problems and, using a highly customized program, they learn how to
teach missing skills. Dr. Wayland enjoys working with families of children
from ages 1 to 31 (and beyond).

Learn more at:
www.GuidingExceptionalParents.com

https://www.facebook.com/guidingexceptionalparents
https://twitter.com/parentguiding
https://www.linkedin.com/in/sarahwayland
http://guidingexceptionalparents.com/
mailto:info at guidingexceptionalparents.com

** About (http://guidingexceptionalparents.com/About.html) **

Sarah Wayland, Ph.D. | www.GuidingExceptionalParents.com
Supporting students with learning differences & their families

Book Club - July 24th - Self Reg by Stuart Shanker
More Info: https://guidingexceptionalparents.com/Presentations.html#BookClub