[RP TownTalk] Waterproofing recommendations?

Sean Troxell rseantroxell at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 17:19:08 UTC 2018

Fellow residents,
   Installation of french drains and pressure relief systems (sump pumps)
is rarely necessary to mitigate water intrusions. I've been inspecting
houses for the last 10 years with a company that's done over 15000 home
inspections and we try very hard to inform people that there are other
options.

   Case in point: my house on Riverdale road by the mansion.  When we had
our FHA inspection, there was 3 inches of water in the basement and the
owner installed a pressure relief sump pump system in our basement.  I
would listen to the sump pump run every so often and almost every 5 minutes
when it rained hard and long.  We had a landscape contractor who
specializes in water control improve the grading around the house and we
added gutters.  Ever since then, the sump pump rarely runs.  And when it
does, it's mostly from the condensate drain for our dehumidifier.

   Don't get me wrong.  Sometimes it is necessary and with the high water
tables around Riverdale, it may be the best option, but before you spend
tens of thousands of dollars on a pressure relief system, consult a
qualified landscaping contractor who specializes in water control.
Improving the grading and drainage is the best thing you can do.  Think
about it.  Why are you going to let the water come in in the first place?
Wouldn't it be better to deal with it before it infiltrates the foundation
wall?

Some of the better and more experienced firms are Kart Landscaping in
Rockville, MD 301 424-0238 <(301)%20424-0238>, WrayBrothers in Bethesda, MD
301-370-2990 <(301)%20370-2990>, and AW Landscaping in Boyds, MD 301
349-2605.

Best of luck,
R. Sean Troxell
JD Grewell & Associates Inc