[RP TownTalk] Trolley Trail Reopening

Alan K. Thompson akthompson at riverdaleparkmd.gov
Thu Mar 8 04:42:04 UTC 2018

I wanted to provide a very quick update on the status of the trolley trail
north of Riverdale Park Station (which was closed by the developer a few
days ago). This update is based on my impressions from a e-mail and phone
calls I participated in today, and is not a commitment from the developer,
the Town of Riverdale Park, the City of College Park, or anyone else - it's
just what I personally see ahead based on what I heard and read.

There are three issues that, when resolved, will allow the temporary trail
(the pathway that has been open for a few months) to reopen.

The first is vehicle (car and or truck) traffic on the trail between
Riverdale Park Station and the Calvert Hills neighborhood of College Park.
At least a few instances of cars/trucks driving here have been reported.
Because almost all of that section of the trail is in College Park, and
there are fewer restrictions of what can be changed on that section of the
trail, the City will be installing bollards there to block vehicular
traffic while allowing pedestrians and bikes.  The contractor hired to
install the bollards has been given the go-ahead to start and will probably
be done sometime on Friday.

The second is to address security/safety concerns raised by a resident
about traffic in the alley behind the townhouses at night.  This will
require installing temporary lighting along that section of the temporary
trail (the resident has stated that it would address his concerns).  I
haven't heard any schedule for that, but could believe that it could be
completed by sometime on Friday as well.

The third issue is restoring the trail to its previous state by
reinstalling the barrier that was blocking the (future permanent) trail
south of the alley.  I believe that can probably happen tomorrow
(Thursday), but that barrier needs to remain in place for the developer to
be comfortable leaving the trail open.  Please leave it alone, and please
tell anyone who is NOT leaving it alone to leave it alone.

Thanks,

Alan

--

Alan K. Thompson, Mayor