[RP TownTalk] Town's planned sale of 4603 East West Highway

Alan K. Thompson twacks at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 04:25:18 UTC 2018

Hi Dan,

The Town purchased the property (then a vacant lot) in early 2015 "...as a
secondary site for Public Works equipment and Town storage."  The purchase
was based on recommendations from the Public Works Director and Town
Administrator.

Recent re-assessments of the storage needs for Public Works (along with
logistical issues associated with getting onto/off of East-West Highway
with equipment) led to the action by the Council in October.

Although we have declared the property "no longer needed for a public
purpose," the sale will go through only if there is an enforceable proposal
from the buyer to develop it in a way that the Council believes will
benefit the town...and that discussion (and decision) will happen at future
council meetings.  The Council established the "Competitive Negotiated Sale
Process," a new way of holding purchasers accountable for the promises they
make, before making the decision to consider proposals from potential
purchasers.

Just as a side note, the price of the property when the Town purchased it
was a little over $50,000, and the assessed value of the lot now (the
assessment is often low compared to sale prices) is $75,900.

Best regards,

Alan