[RP TownTalk] MARC Cornerstone Plan

Sarah Wayland sarah.wayland at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 17:42:21 UTC 2019

I used to ride the train every day to commute up to the Baltimore Medical
Center. I loved that train ride!

I remember asking the conductor why they didn't run trains for the Orioles
games, and he said that they used to, but some people would get *really*
drunk at the games and the rides home were a nightmare for those who
weren't drunk. Eventually they couldn't find conductors willing to work the
games, and so CSX canceled the service.

-Sarah

***

*Sarah Wayland, Ph.D.* | www.GuidingExceptionalParents.com
<https://www.guidingexceptionalparents.com/>
Supporting students with learning differences & their families

Raising a child with challenges? Sometimes you have to First, Put On Your
Own Oxygen Mask:
https://www.guidingexceptionalparents.com/event/winter-2020-first-put-on-your-own-oxygen-mask/
Class starts Monday January 13th.

Next Book Club is Wed January 15th! Join author Carol Stock Kranowitz live
and in-person as we discuss her international best-selling book, The
Out-of-Sync Child:
https://www.guidingexceptionalparents.com/maryland-book-clubs/

On Thu, Dec 5, 2019 at 8:54 AM Gmail <jennifer.matis at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> before Council and reading them the riot act to get them to back off.  If
> you push off advocacy to state representatives you have already tacitly
> acquiesced the point. If local voices don’t demand something, there is no
> reason for the state to advocate for the town.
>
> A great example of this is the bridge over the tracks to RP Station. This
> was completely a local effort. One of our former state representatives
> chaired the state Public Works Committee at the time but state money did
> not fund its construction.  Regardless of support or lack thereof for the
> bridge construction, because it was driven by local voices it became a
> reality.
>
> Service, including continued service, will always depends on ridership
> metrics. Unfortunately many RP residents end up buttressing the CP
> ridership statistics due to the better, more frequent service at that
> station.  Dwight is right - it’s the easiest way to commute into DC.
>
> On Dec 4, 2019, at 9:57 PM, Caitlin Harwood <caitlinharwood at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>  I have actually reached out to our councilman Aaron Faulx about this. He
> said it has to go to the State level and be brought up at a meeting in
> which state reps are present. Hoping that happens soon. My low bar
> suggestion is to have the 2 trains that currently pass through RP but don’t
> stop actually stop there. (There’s one around 8:30 am and one around 5:30
> pm coming back from DC.)
> I’m personally willing to take signatures from town members in support of
> it, but until it gets on the docket at the state level, there would be no
> platform to show such signatures.
>
> Caitlin
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Dec 4, 2019, at 5:46 PM, Dwight Holmes <dwightrholmes at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Get more of your friends, colleagues and neighbors to board the train at
> RP!  Give 'em all the selling points: Inexpensive vis-a-vis Metro (even
> moreso if you have federal commuting benefits through your employer), free
> parking!, 10 minutes to Union Station!)
> It's a numbers game.  While ridership has increased at our station, it's
> increased up and down the line and we are still one of the low-ridership
> stations.
>

> On Wed, Dec 4, 2019 at 5:39 PM Lucy Aguirre <a.lucille.a at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Is there anything we residents can do to increase weekday service at the
>> RP station?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Lucy
>> Queensbury Rd
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 4, 2019 at 5:06 PM Dwight Holmes <dwightrholmes at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks, Jonathan.  As the blogger says, doesn't seem to be anything new
>>> in there. I believe O'Malley laid out similar goals when he first became
>>> governor.  On our Camden line, one afternoon train from Union Station was
>>> added (lv 3:30) but of course it doesn't stop at Riverdale Park Town Center