[RP TownTalk] Fwd: Citizens for Health Alert: Maryland Bill HB 654 Threatens To Strip Local Control of Cell Towers

Alan Thompson akthompson at riverdaleparkmd.gov
Tue Feb 19 02:36:47 UTC 2019

Jeffrey, your suggestion that the telcos "....place them on high, out of the way places like light and traffic pole corners of buildings where they blend into the background." is a great start.  What HB 654 would do is take away the Town's (and other local government's) ability to regulate placement, appearance, etc., at all!

A recent FCC ruling (it went into effect in mid-January) takes away the ability of states and local governments to regulate most aspects of 5G technology, and 5G (in contrast to 4G) will be placing transmission stations every 200-500 feet through the community.  Currently, the only aspects of 5G deployment that the Town can regulate under the FCC ruling are "aesthetic" elements (placement and appearance, but to a limited extent), safety,* and (within recommended ranges) the amount we charge them for the costs associated with their use of the public space controlled by the Town. The FCC ruling requires that the telecommunication companies be allowed to install their equipment in Town - we will have dozens of transmitters installed soon.

We are forbidden from considering the health effects you were discussing in your response - if we appear to consider those health effects, we lose more of our remaining powers.

Ocean City was able to negotiate with the telecoms for deployment of nice-looking poles on their boardwalk, but the FCC ruling takes away the leverage that they used to make that happens.  HB 654 would go even further than the FCC ruling, and we could end up with no power to regulate placement (or appearance) of the transmitters.

The Town will be working to establish guidelines for placement and appearance over the next few months, before an April 15 deadline.

I'm happy to discuss this more, but it's hard to put the tens of hours of research I've put into this issue so far in a short letter....

Best,

Alan

* "Safety" in this context refers to to things like mechanical stability, electrical safety, and traffic impacts, but not health effects of the radio emissions.