[RP TownTalk] has anyone removed vinyl siding and restored original wood siding on their old house?

Sarah Wayland sarah.wayland at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 18:04:06 UTC 2019

Perhaps you will have good luck if you look for someone who can do historic
preservation work. I've heard Luis Sagastume recommended many times by
Community Forklift, and he repaired some interior water damage from a roof
leak for us. He did a beautiful job. I don't know if he does exterior work,
but you might try contacting him to ask. (301) 404-2576‬.

The folks at Community Forklift might also have some recommendations for
you.

The members of the Hyattsville Preservation Association (
https://www.preservehyattsville.org/) might be a good resource as well.

BTW, when we renovated our outbuilding, we used Hardiplank to replace the
vinyl siding. We asked the contractor (long since retired, or I would
recommend him) to cut wide panels lengthwise in half so that the width
matched the width of the wood slats on our house. It was apparently a huge
pain (because Hardiplank doesn't have as much structural integrity as wood
does, so he had to be really careful or it would break), but now our
outbuilding looks wonderful AND has fireproof siding!

-Sarah

***

*Sarah Wayland, Ph.D.* | www.GuidingExceptionalParents.com
<https://www.guidingexceptionalparents.com/>
Supporting students with learning differences & their families

*First, Put On Your Own Oxygen Mask - Mar 7* - Join with other parents to
explore different ways to think about your problems and implement effective
self-care. *For more information and to register:
**https://www.guidingexceptionalparents.com/behavior-workshops-maryland/
<https://www.guidingexceptionalparents.com/behavior-workshops-maryland/>*