[RP TownTalk] Belgian Fall Fest at Riversdale THIS Saturday - Celebrate Fall the Belgian Way!

Ferris, Samantha Samantha.Ferris at pgparks.com
Fri Oct 11 14:23:53 UTC 2019

[cid:image003.png at 01D57AD1.930109D0]

Hi, neighbors!

We are looking forward to a beautiful fall weekend and hope you'll join us to celebrate fall the Belgian way! Whether you come for the waffles, beer tastings, frites, cookies, demos, music, Smurfs, or all of the above, Belgian Fall Fest will be a great way to enjoy the museum in a whole new way.  In partnership with the Embassy of Belgium, enjoy an afternoon of food, music, children's activities, and more. His Excellency Ambassador Dirk Wouters will be paying a visit and offering remarks during the event.  Why exactly is Riversdale going Belgian this weekend? The Stier family, the original owners of Riversdale, first came to America in 1794 after fleeing their home country, now Belgium, during the French Revolution's Reign of Terror. When the family returned to Antwerp, their youngest child, Rosalie, remained at Riversdale with her husband, George Calvert, and raised their nine children.

In honor of Mrs. Calvert's homeland and her favorite season, we are bringing you an afternoon of fun and deliciousness. For such a tiny country, Belgium is famous for many things! While supplies last, sample the country with:

*        Free beer tastings from Duvel, Delirium, Ommegang, and Chouffe (That's right - FREE tastings while supplies last!)

*        Cooking demos & tastings with Embassy Executive Chef Timon Michiels (We're talking Dutch pancakes, folks!)

*        Open hearth baking demonstration (Nothing beats the smell of spice cookies!)

*        Free beer tastings from Duvel, Delirium, Ommegang, and Chouffe (That's right - FREE tastings while supplies last!)

*        Cookie samples of popular Belgian treats (Don't know what Antwerpse hanjes are? Trust us, they're delish!)

*        Frites prepared by Chef Michiels & Liege waffles courtesy of Les Caprices de Joelle (Yum!)

*        Traditional Belgian music courtesy of Paul Oorts and Karen Ashbrook and the University of Maryland School of Music (Did you know the saxophone was invented by a Belgian?)

*        Tours of the museum

*        Kid's activities & cartoons (For the young & young at heart!)

*        Scavenger hunt & prizes (We've recently posted an answer hint on Facebook; be sure to like us to find it!)

*        Social media photo contest (This might be the most fun way to win a basketful of Belgian chocolate!)

Belgian Fall Fest runs from noon-4 pm on Saturday, October 12. Admission to grounds is free. Food tickets are $5 and beverage tickets are $1. Questions? Feel free to contact the office and we'd be glad to assist! We hope you'll join us when #RiversdaleGoesBelgian!
Samantha Ferris
Education Coordinator
Riversdale House Museum
4811 Riverdale Road, Riverdale Park, MD 20737
Department of Parks and Recreation
The Maryland-National Capital Park & Planning Commission
Samantha.Ferris at pgparks.com<https://by2prd0410.outlook.com/owa/redir.aspx?C=uLFjhWHyY0KDDoYqyAQZaFLn41EvZs8IVx_74DGW80ErxrWEbpQbJ3kKmH0dAUjZqmh3ii_S4go.&URL=mailto%3aSamantha.Ferris%40pgparks.com> / history.pgparks.com<https://by2prd0410.outlook.com/owa/redir.aspx?C=uLFjhWHyY0KDDoYqyAQZaFLn41EvZs8IVx_74DGW80ErxrWEbpQbJ3kKmH0dAUjZqmh3ii_S4go.&URL=http%3a%2f%2fhistory.pgparks.com%2f>
301.864.0420 / fax 301.927.3498
Like us on Facebook!<https://by2prd0410.outlook.com/owa/redir.aspx?C=uLFjhWHyY0KDDoYqyAQZaFLn41EvZs8IVx_74DGW80ErxrWEbpQbJ3kKmH0dAUjZqmh3ii_S4go.&URL=https%3a%2f%2fwww.facebook.com%2fRiversdaleMuseum> / Sign up for Riversdale's e-list!<https://by2prd0410.outlook.com/owa/redir.aspx?C=uLFjhWHyY0KDDoYqyAQZaFLn41EvZs8IVx_74DGW80ErxrWEbpQbJ3kKmH0dAUjZqmh3ii_S4go.&URL=http%3a%2f%2fvisitor.r20.constantcontact.com%2fd.jsp%3fllr%3drx4axyiab%26p%3doi%26m%3d1108931018481>