[RP TownTalk] Ward 1 Special Election set for Dec 10

Rob Oppenheim oppenheim at email.com
Tue Nov 8 18:21:18 UTC 2005

From: Rob Oppenheim

Last week, with a heavy heart, I stepped down as Town Crier editor.

This week, with a much happier heart, I follow the tradition of
announcing here that I am running for the Ward 1 council seat in
the special election Saturday, December 10, 2005.

I want to thank outgoing Ward 1 Representative Tracey Toscano for
endorsing my candidacy and for encouraging me to run. It was not
an easy decision, but in reflecting on the time spent with the Crier,
I realized how satisfying it is for me to contribute to our community
in a positive way.

I first served on the Crier 16 years ago as a volunteer under Mayor
Ann Ferguson. Last April, I returned to serve under Mayor Tiberio,
and for the past several months I had the pleasure of working with
Mayor Archer. Working with three different administrations has given
me perspective and valuable experience and has reinforced my belief
in the need for thoughtful, fair-minded, open-minded public service.

I am an independent. I will study the issues and vote my conscience.
When I agree with the mayor or other members of the council, I will
be a strong supporter. And when I disagree, I will be respectful and
polite as I put forward a worthy opposition. I will be careful to
research issues. I will ask Riverdale Park residents for their
opinions, and I will really listen to what they have to say. I will
continue the high standard of constituent service that was the
hallmark of Tracey's tenure.

One important goal will be to see town communications improved
across the board - not just in the Town Crier but also in the
town's web site, e-mail lists, and cable television. For example,
I want to see webcasts of town meetings, and it would be great to
use the e-mail list to let residents know the schedule for leaf
pickup, so we can rake those leaves close to the curb before the
truck comes by instead of just after it has passed.

Another important goal concerns traffic. Too many years, too
little done, too many speeding cars. I just completed a
successful campaign to get gentle, traffic-calming speed humps
approved and funded on Cleveland Avenue. As a council member, I
will spearhead the effort to calm and control traffic in our ward
and across our town.

Another important goal is to work to fill those empty stores in
town center!

You have seen the quality of my work with the Town Crier.
Now I'd like a chance to perform to the same high standard on the
council. I want to help make you proud to live in Riverdale Park.

Please vote for me in the special election Saturday, December 10, 2005.

Cheerfully,
Rob Oppenheim

301-779-1745
5902 Cleveland Ave., Riverdale Park, Md. 20737-1930