[RP TownTalk] (no subject)

Karen Krueger kkruegerus at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 01:08:01 UTC 2005

I was told by an employee of a Montgomery County liquor store in
Bethesda that grocery stores in the county could only sell beer and
wine in one location of Montgomery county, so I assume "region" is
defined as county, at least in Montgomery. It seems to make sense -- I
can't think of any stores that sell beer or wine in more than one
location there.

As far as choosing a location, it's all about demographics. Whole
Foods and Trader Joe's know exactly who their customers are. They know
how far they will drive from their homes to shop. They know the other
stores their customers tend to shop at. That's why you see the same
stores grouped together in strip mall after strip mall. (I used to
work for Pier 1's Real Estate division in a former life doing
demographic profiles). It's all about the numbers. If they find enough
people that fit their demographic group within a reasonable radius,
they know from experience that the store will make money.

Karen