[RP TownTalk] Security Fence Between Metro Station & PG Plaza Update

Paul_Pinsky Paul_Pinsky at senate.state.md.us
Thu Sep 8 14:31:08 UTC 2005

Dear Friends of Riverdale Park:

I am pleased to announce after bringing together officials from WMATA
(including their security department) and the Maryland State Highway
Administration, an agreement has been reached on the
security fence between the Metro Station and Prince George's
Plaza along Rt. 410.  State Highways has said they
will now begin the process to install the 8-foot, wrought
iron fence in the median of Rt. 410 to stop the dangerous
situation caused by the J-walkers Hopefully, we can avoid any fatalities and
local residents and drivers will no longer have to face this
precarious situation.

After working on this problem for some time - and finding out
that what seemingly had been resolved (a barrier fence),
was not, I recently set up a meeting and told the stakeholders
(WMATA & State Highways) that I wanted this stalemate resolved.
This dangerous situation has gone on much too long.  I appreciate
the folks who joined in on the recent dialogue.

The fence will stretch from near the light at Belcrest Rd. to
near the light at the main P.G. Plaza entrance (and west end
entrance of Metro).  Pedestrians will be able to choose between
the elevated bridge and the crosswalks at the lights.
Obviously, I look forward to actually seeing the fence go up and
the number of Rt. 410 J-walkers goes down.  At this point I finally
think that success is near.

State Senator Paul G. Pinsky

Below you will find an email sent to me several days ago from Gene
Counihan, MD Government Relations Officer at WMATA, which
updates the progress of the pedestrian bridge:

We were able to reach agreement on the final details of a plan to put
an end a very dangerous and unsafe situation at the pedestrian bridge
that crosses Rt 410 between the Mall at Prince Georges and the
Metrorail Station.  The problem is that a majority of citizens moving
between The Mall and the Metro illegally dart across six lanes of
traffic on East-West Highway (Rt 410) instead of using the pedestrian
bridge.    The agreed upon plan to create a barrier to surface crossing
was set in motion at a August 18 site meeting called by Senator Pinsky.
The agreement was finalized yesterday with the Mall management's
endorsement of a plan for WMATA to install a railing on mall property
on the North side of Rt 410.  The railing will extend from both sides
of the bridge tower arch a distance of approximately 75 feet along the
sidewalk to the driveways to the East and the West of the Tower.

The complete plan includes construction of barriers and public
education.  Both WMATA and SHA will construct barriers to
prevent continued surface crossing by pedestrians near the bridge.
SHA will install a wrought iron fence, eight feet high, down the length
of the median strip on Rt 410 between intersections at Belcrest Rd
and Editors Park Rd.   WMATA will install the two sections of railing
on the North or mall side of Rt 410 and a similar railing about 34 feet
long along the sidewalk on the South or Metro side of Rt 410.  SHA
will place signs on the barriers advising pedestrians to use the bridge.
Work at the site will begin on Sept 7th and be completed by Sept 25th.
WMATA staff will monitor the bridge and towers to insure that they are
clean and properly maintained.

WMATA has launched a public information campaign that will continue
until the construction of the barriers is completed.   WMATA police and
communications staff are distributing notices and reminders to citizens to
use the pedestrian bridge to move safely and legally between the Mall and
the Metro. Information will be distributed at the Metrorail Station, the
Mall,
nearby apartments, Nicholas Orem Middle School and Northwest
High School.

Thank you all for working together to eliminate a dangerous an unsafe
practice.