[RP TownTalk] Mayor and Council Salaries

Jonah Blaustein jonah at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 4 22:25:31 UTC 2006

  I think I am in favor of raising the pay for our elected officials but
not for any of the reasons I've heard so far. I don't think the
compensation has that much to do with the quality of service we can
expect. I'm reminded of the quote from Tom DeLay while earning $158,000
a year in the House of Representatives:

"I challenge anyone to live on my salary."

Maybe an increase in salary would prevent the mayor and council from
easily being bribed by unscrupulous lobbyists.

Jonah