[RP TownTalk] Stipend increase

Alan Thompson and Sarah Wayland twacks at his.com
Thu Dec 7 17:14:37 UTC 2006

[Sarah here, speaking only for myself.]

I can see three reasons for abstaining.

(1) You believe that to vote on the issue is a conflict of interest,
and that it is therefore unethical to vote.

(2) Your constituency doesn't care about the issue, and you don't have an
opinion yourself.

(3) Your constituency is evenly split on the issue, and you don't have an
opinion yourself.

Public opinion on this issue seems overwhelmingly in favor of a
pay increase if you base it only on messages sent to this list. But we
should all remember that we are a small (but active!) group of voters in
town. We don't represent everyone. And those council members who abstained
know their constituency, just as those who voted "yes" know theirs.

I will say this, though. Over the years, I have seen many a council member
abstain when they really mean "no".

I can't speak for Councilmembers Kiernan and Donaldson regarding why
they abstained on this issue.

-Sarah