[RP TownTalk] Jane Jacobs (and others) on Riverdale Park's Town Center

David Hiles hilesd at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 1 22:12:47 UTC 2006

My messages to this list are being moderated because I was judged to
have violated the posting standards.
************************************

You can't rely on bringing people downtown; you have to put them there.
(Jane Jacobs)

I never said that government was messing around too much in our lives.
I said it was doing stupid things.
That's not the same thing at all. It may be doing too little in our
lives and still be doing stupid things. It's not an ideological thing.
(Jane Jacobs)

Margaret Dumont: Mr. Driftwood, six months ago I hired you to get me
into the highest New York society. Since then all you've done is
collect a handsome salary.
Groucho: (shocked) You call that all?

In 1860, the capital city of Washington, with a population of 60,000,
had unlighted streets, open sewers, and pigs roaming about its
principal avenues.
This condition was worse than the worst of our current cities. There is
hope.
(Andres Duany)

Cities are gentrified by the following types of people in sequence:
first the risk-oblivious (artists), then the risk-aware (developers),
finally the risk adverse (dentists from New Jersey).
(Bill Kraus)

The American city should be a collection of communities where every
member has a right to belong. It should be a place where every man
feels safe on his streets and in the house of his friends. It should be
a place where each individual's dignity and self-respect is
strengthened by the respect and affection of his neighbors. It should
be a place where each of us can find the satisfaction and warmth which
comes from being a member of the community of man. This is what man
sought at the dawn of civilization. It is what we seek today.
(Lyndon B. Johnson)

When I become president, all you ***** that ride bikes in the city?
Lock and load! You're going down!
(Denis Leary, Lock 'N Load (1997))

Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70
mph.
(Jim Samuels)

WE are who we have been waiting for.
http://riverdalepark.blogspot.com/