[RP TownTalk] Some budget questions

Rob Oppenheim rob.oppenheim at comcast.net
Sat Jun 3 02:21:11 UTC 2006

There have been many budget hearings over the last few weeks,
which have kept the answers to David's questions in flux. But
here goes...

On Sun, 21 May 2006 23:33:22 -0400, David Hiles wrote:

>I looked over the draft budget and I have a few questions.

>1) Why is the newsletter budget being cut by $3,000?

It came in well under budget this year so the thinking was that
it probably did not need the funds and that there were other
funds that could be made available if it turned out it was needed.

At the last budget hearing late Thursday night, I asked that the
newsletters budget be kept at last years level as a sign of support
and encouragement and in hopes of seeing improvements that might
be made possible with the money. The mayor and council agreed
and the newsletter budget will be the same next year as this year.

>2) What is the status of the Transol red light camera project?
There are no red light cameras active in the town at this time.

>3) What is the status of the road project tied to the drainage project
in Ward 2?
(This was discussed by others here on TownTalk.)

There is also a project in Ward 1 on 43rd St that is 7 years overdue
that looks like it will be completed in the next few weeks. This street
is shared with Hyattsville. We replaced the curbs in 1999 and money
was set aside to re-pave it.

However, as I understand it, the gas company held the project up
because road cuts were planned. We have been assured that the
needed cuts will be done soon (yeah right) and then this street
will finally be re-paved. The town has coordinated with Hyattsville
(who is currently doing a lot of street work in this area) to complete
the job. I have called the gas company several times, as has town
staff, to keep reminding them that this must get done. Will it actually
happen? Your guess is as good as mine, but I am hopeful.

>4) The town used to have a working water tanker truck. What is the
status of getting that truck working or replaced?

I am fuzzy on the details here, but my understanding is that the water
truck continues to give problems, but that we have a backup - a water
tank that can be loaded onto a pickup truck which works just fine.

-Rob