[RP TownTalk] Cars vandalized - AGAIN

Karen Smyth karenfsmyth at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 2 13:31:12 UTC 2006

TownTalk -

  I was one of the other cars on that street victimized and am quite upset about this.  Because we are a dead end street, we don't have police patroling often up there (and esp. since they are short officers!)... Riverdale is a large city and for them to be short officers is inexcusable, particularly when we're told by the officers and others that PG County has THE worst crime rate in Maryland and beyond.  And another little tidbit that made me uneasy - they informed us that not all the police reports make it into that nice chart in the town crier.  Why is that?   Is there a neighborhood watch at all?  I'd advocate for something like that -- this is not the first time we've been hit on our street!  And I am pretty obsessive when it comes to locking my doors - I may have accidentally left one unlocked, but I doubt it.  And while they are only after cash, there's no excuse.  We have seen someone hanging out at the end of our street drinking from a brown bag at 8 in the
 morning sometimes - no reason for him to be there... and with our street leading to a back, dark, secluded staircase down to the towing and train station parking lot, and the path right near there and the park and other "easy escapes," we need patrols and other assistance like more lighting (particularly in the park which seems to be a meeting place for juveniles -- I have found condoms and drug bags and needles) , like security cameras, like canine units in Riverdale...When I walk my dogs, I find all sorts of questionable left overs at the end of my street and again, in the park.  It's disgusting and it makes me question whether it is safe to raise my two small children in Riverdale (or PG County!)... Between that, my husband being carjacked at gunpoint a few months ago, etc....
  Thanks for listening to me vent and if there are any suggestions for ways to improve this situation, I'd be grateful for them.

  Karen

mariannethrift at comcast.net wrote:
    Sometime late Saturday early Sunday morning at least 3 cars on 47th Avenue (deadend street off Sheridan Street) were ransacked and money was taken. I would hope that people would please look out for your neighbors as you would want those neighbors to look out for you. The Riverdale police that responded has stated that they are down to 2 officers. I would encourage some dialog on this situation as well as the thieving creeps that wander our streets at night.

  Marianne Thrift

For more information about Riverdale Park, visit http://www.ci.riverdale-park.md.us